Ted Sterchi / Birthday Boy
Based in London, United Kingdom
May 19, 2017
Press / Business contact:
Birthday Boy is a one-person games and design studio headquartered in London, England. Ted Sterchi is a designer based in London, England.
On this mysterious island, the perfect Summer vacation for four young friends suddenly turns a little sour. What looks like a tropical paradise slowly reveals an ancient and complex past between human inhabitants and the local slime creatures. After learning mystical powers through the old hermit Mary, Azure and her friends must embark on a journey to find and revive the island’s magical orange trees, in hopes of making peace between Mary and the Slimes. What they don’t yet realize is the stakes are much higher than they originally thought...
- 6+ hours of gameplay with vast areas built for non-linear exploration
- A touching and timely story told via cutscenes and conversations
- Five playable characters with individual magical abilities and stats
- 8-bit graphics, chiptune audio, and gameplay authentic to the NES
- A unique pastel pixel art style
- Engaging puzzles with retro side-scrolling platformer mechanics
- Side-quests and activities to complete in numerous towns, inns, and shops
- Diverse characters and themes created by a queer developer
- "Shoot-em-up" sequences with classic spaceship combat
- Arrangements by Secret of Mana composer Hiroki Kikuta
- Releasing on PC and Mac with controller support, and on physical NES cartridge
- Future platforms include PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch
Kickstarter Trailer YouTube
OST Dynamic Visualizer YouTube
There are far more images available for Ted Sterchi / Birthday Boy, but these are the ones we felt would be most useful to you. If you have specific requests, please do contact us!
Logo & Icon
- "I was captivated. The music and art-style was so consistent and on-form with its various inspirations that it truly felt like somebody had dug up a lost game from years back and got it running on modern hardware."
- Dann Sullivan, Big Boss Battle
- "...will feel instantly familiar to fans of retro gaming..."
- Patrick Day-Childs, VGChartz
- "It's a joy to play! Orange Island uses only the good colours, and is clearly being made with love and attention to detail."
- Tom Vian, programmer of Snipperclips, SFB Games
- "I can’t wait to explore with these characters! It’s easy to tell that Orange Island is being made with a level of love that makes it instantly endearing to any would-be player."
- Matthew, Wholesome Games
Team & Repeating Collaborator
Creator, Designer, Composer
Audio Producer, Guest Composer